Don't miss our holiday offer - up to 50% OFF!
Have you tried weed tea before? If not, this article contains three different recipes for infusing this much-loved plant into your morning or evening cup of tea (including how to make weed stem tea). Cannabis-infused tea offers a safer and easier way of consuming weed. It is smokeless, easy to make, the high lasts for long, and is highly potent (depending on the strain used). Compared to edibles, weed tea contains less sugar and oils. In short, weed tea is a must-try for any marijuana lover.
How is weed tea made?
You can make weed tea in either of three ways;
- Making your regular cup of tea and adding a cannabis tincture
- Dipping raw, dried cannabis into water (the final product will have little to zero psychoactive properties since the weed is not decarbed. You will, however, enjoy some health benefits associated with acidic cannabinoids like THCA, CBDA, CBGA, and others).
- Mixing decarbed cannabis with water, tea leaves, a binding agent (alcohol, butter, oil, etc.), and flavorings of your choice.
Does weed tea have psychoactive properties?
The big question is, will weed tea get you high? Yes, as long as the weed is first decarboxylated and a binding agent is used in the tea. To access the psychoactive and therapeutic properties of cannabis, the plant has to be put in the oven and subjected to temperatures of 230⁰F – 250⁰F for 30-40 minutes. This ensures that the acidic precursors are converted to cannabinoids such as THC and CBD.
When vaping or smoking, cannabis does not need to be decarbed first. This is because the heat produced automatically decarbes it, activating the psychoactive and medical properties of the plant. With edibles like tea, brownies, cakes, and cookies, the weed is decarbed and mixed with a binding agent (alcohol or any fatty oils) before it’s included in the recipe.
What is the use of a binding agent?
Weed is not soluble in water. Dipping it into your cup of tea is not enough to make it psychoactive, even though it is decarbed. To bind it to water, one needs alcohol or any source of fat.
How long until the effects of weed tea kick in?
After consuming weed tea, it goes to the intestines, where it undergoes digestion before it is absorbed into the bloodstream. Afterward, it is metabolized by the liver before it can enter the Endocannabinoid System. This process may take one to two hours, which means it might be a while before you feel the effects. You should wait at least an hour before taking another cup of tea to avoid a cannabis overdose.
Weed tea recipes
Below are three fun-to-try weed tea recipes. You can try all of them and decide which is your favorite. The ingredients are easy to find, and the procedure is easy to execute. let’s begin…
How to make weed stem tea
When buying or after harvesting, drying, and curing cannabis flowers, you might be confused about what to do with the stems. Usually, the stems are thrown away as they are deemed useless, or are they? Well, do not throw them away. You can use them to make weed-infused tea. Making tea with cannabis stems is a better alternative to smoking them (produces a harsh smoke, bitter taste, causes a headache, and ends in disappointment). They might not be as potent as the flower, but making the most out of the plant doesn’t hurt.
Weed stem tea ingredients:
- A quarter cup of decarbed cannabis stems or more, depending on your preference, tolerance, and amount of tea to be made.
- 2 cups of water per serving
- Filter (paper towel, cheesecloth, etc.)
- Binding agent (coconut oil, butter, milk, or alcohol)
- Other flavors like lemon, cinnamon, chamomile (optional)
Weed stem tea recipe:
Step 1: Prepare the stems. You can grind them, but it’s not recommended as it may interfere with the final product’s taste.
Step 2: Take the saucepan, pour the two cups of water inside and bring to a boil. In case you are using butter, milk, or oil, add them before the water boils. If alcohol is your binding agent of choice, wait until step 4.
Step 3: Add the stems immediately the water starts to boil. Stir for 10-15 minutes.
Step 4: Remove the mixture from the saucepan and let it cool. This is the ideal time to add about three tablespoons of alcohol.
Step 5: Use a filter to strain the mixture.
Step 6: Get creative and add extra ingredients to spice the flavor. You can add tea bags plus honey, stevia, or sugar to sweeten it. Enjoy!
To increase the potency of the weed stem tea, you can use cannabis-infused oil, butter, or sugar.
How to make weed tea with chamomile and rose
You will need:
- Two tablespoons of ground, decarbed weed (can be more or less depending on the strain’s potency)
- Honey (infused or not)
- Two tablespoons of chamomile (dried)
- Two tablespoons of rose
- Coconut oil
How to make vegan weed tea with almond milk
Vegan weed tea ingredients:
- A tablespoon of cannabis-infused coconut oil
- A cup of unsweetened almond milk
- A single cinnamon stick
- An inch of fresh turmeric or a ½ teaspoon of dried turmeric
- Half an inch of ginger
- A quarter teaspoon of black peppercorns
- Honey (can be infused or not)
Vegan weed tea recipe
Step 1: Chop the unpeeled ginger and turmeric
Step 2: Add all the ingredients together in a saucepan except for the cinnamon and coconut oil. Add a cup of water, whisk, and bring to a boil.
Step 3: Lower the temperature and add the cannabis-infused coconut oil.
Step 4: Simmer for 10 minutes.
Step 5: Strain the mixture and serve with some added cinnamon for flavor.